Black Student Union Feature

Peter Sawchuk

West High’s Black Student Union is currently meeting digitally and accepting new
members. BSU meets every other Wednesday at 2 pm on Zoom. “BSU stands for Black Student
Union, and it is a club that strives to make a community for West High minorities, with a focus
primarily on the African American community,” said club President Safiya Hamud. Although
BSU mainly focuses on the African American community, students of any background are
welcome to join. “The BSU mission is to create a sense of community for all students and
provide an opportunity to express their views concerning current events, academics, cultural arts,
and school life.” In the past, BSU has made presentations, organized fundraisers, gone on field
trips, provided information about scholarships, and won first place at the University of Utah
Stepping Competition. This year BSU is meeting primarily through Zoom, but holds meetings
and group activities in person when possible. Despite the shutdown of in-person school, BSU
held a car wash fundraiser in October that complied with CDC guidelines.

BSU’s faculty adviser is Mrs. Denny Aldridge, and the club itself is run by students
Safiya Hamud (President), Ashlin Williams (Vice President), Rehema Nyandagaro
(Representative), Kennedie Crutcher (Representative), and Eve Brown (Student Outreach). “The
best thing about BSU,” said Hamud, “is that we do things that are really fun such as social
events, fundraisers, and conferences, and we are really a place that students can open up to us.”
Regardless of your background or knowledge about Black culture, anybody is welcome to join
the BSU community.

If you’re interested in joining BSU you can contact them via their
Instagram: @bsu_whs, join their Remind by texting BSUWESTH to 81010, or ask one of the
club leaders for further info.