West Alum Triumphs in Golf Tournament

Barrett Carpenter, Sports Editor

Throughout its storied history, West High School’s athletics programs have produced many professional athletes, including professional golfer Tony Finau. Finau, whoAdd Story also played basketball during his time at West, was a member of the 2006 State Champion Men’s Golf Team, First Team All State for all four years of high school, and the 2007 West High Athlete of the Year. In 2007, he went pro directly out of high school, where he played on the Utah Championship, the Web.com tour, and eventually the PGA Tour in 2015.

On August 23, 2021, Finau won his second PGA Tour event at The Northern Trust in Jersey City, NJ, after the final day was delayed due to Tropical Storm Henri. Finau beat Australian Cameron Smith in a playoff on the 18th hole, winning first place. This win was his first since his maiden tour win at the 2016 Puerto Rican Open at Coco Beach. The Northern Trust was the first of three playoff tournaments on the tour. Finau qualified for another after an impressive regular season, notching seven top tens, including two second place finishes at the Farmers Insurance Open and The Genesis Invitational. Finau’s win in the Northern Trust carried him to an 11th place finish on the Tour.

The 2022 PGA Tour began in mid September, with the next tournaments being November 11-14 and November 18-21. You can watch Finau in action on NBC’s Golf Channel, as well as livestreaming on the PGA Tour Website and on Peacock. Finau looks set to perform well this season. He hopes to qualify for the Fedex Cup Playoff for another year. Best of luck to Tony on the Tour this year.