Coach Lopati Retires from West High Softball

Madeleine Jameson

After eight years as West High’s softball coach, Keith Lopati recently decided to step down from his position. During Coach Lopati’s time as softball coach, the team accumulated 141 wins, 4 regional championships, and 2 state championships. Lopati leaves the softball team appreciative of the students he has coached and of his time in the program. 

“I am proud that I had the opportunity to coach the best student-athletes in Utah—not because they were good softball players but because they were all selfless, great people.” Coach Lopati has had a phenomenal coaching career at West High, transforming the program during his time as softball coach. He attributes this success to the players, saying, “Every student athlete that participated in our program played a positive role whether they knew how to play softball or not.” 

Softball players at West High have not only had great achievements as a high school softball team, but also success after high school, with 90% of the student athletes involved in the softball program receiving athletic or academic scholarships. Huntyr Ava, Keisha White, and Jazmyn Rollin are all West High students coached by Lopati who have gone on to have softball careers in college. 

When asked about the success of the team and players on it, West High’s softball coach responded, “We have great players that were very competitive and hard working. We earned and deserved all that came along with being the best.” 

Coach Lopati has taken West High softball from the 10 wins over two years it started out with, to the amazing and highly accomplished program it is today. Lopati says he is proud to be “representing West, representing our student body, and most importantly representing our Rose Park community.” 

Even though he will no longer coach West High’s softball team, Lopati will continue at West as a SPED resource teacher and assistant football coach. Coach Lopati leaves all of those involved in the West High softball program with this message: “I would like to thank all those that played an active role in creating an environment of love, passion, loyalty, compassion, and commitment to each student-athlete who was ever involved with our program. Y’all know who you are! Fa’afetai Lava.”