President Biden’s Plan for Educators and Educatees

Isabella Rodriguez

Since the inauguration in January, President Joe Biden and his administration have made several steps in putting his plan into action. He has announced that he aims to do more for teachers and students. Biden’s goal is to change the education system for the better. And that seems to have kicked off with the resignation of former Secretary of Education Betsy Devos. 

Betsy Devos was appointed to her position when Trump was still in office. Right off the bat, Devos received heavy criticism because neither of her two children are enrolled in public schools, and she had no personal experience working in public schools. She then cut funds from public schools and removed guidelines set by the Obama administration, which protected students’ civil rights.

According to an article on the actions and impact of Devos’ term by chalkbeat.org, “President-elect Biden has pledged to reinstate all of that guidance and to reinvigorate the civil rights office.” 

Biden has appointed Miguel Cardona, an American educator who has served as the Connecticut Commissioner of Education since 2019, as a replacement for Devos in his cabinet. 

Along with a new Secretary of Education, Biden has also made five “promises” aimed at benefiting public education: “supporting educators by giving them the salary and dignity they deserve, investing in schools’ resources to train physically and emotionally healthy adults, so educators can focus on teaching, ensuring that no child’s future is determined by their zip code, household income, ethnicity, or disability, providing every high school and prep school student with a path to a successful career, and investing in new generations from birth.”

Biden also plans on providing every High School or Prep school student with a chance for a successful career and overall investing in the futures and opportunities given to new generations in the future. 

In his 1.9 trillion dollar recovery plan from COVID-19, K-12 schools would have twice as much federal aid as before. 

Regarding what this would mean for West, Biden’s promises and his recovery plan would most likely result in more funds and ensure that students will have the opportunity to go to college and follow the career path they choose. This could lead to more students feeling like they can go somewhere when high school is over and not feel helpless because of their family’s socio-economic or racial status, or any other factor that could hinder their educational opportunities. Overall, if Biden’s plan works out for the better, many students could have the education and profession that they want and the resources to do it throughout elementary, middle school, high school, and college.