District Optimistic as High Attendance Rates Persist

Peter Sawchuk

Despite what many feared, attendance rates have been high during the first quarter of this school year. In the October 6th SLCSD School Board meeting, board members discussed attendance and the results of a survey administered to parents. 94.3% of students have been actively participating in classes this year, compared to 94.7 % in October of last year. The district also shared the other results of the survey.

11,030 parents were surveyed about how well online learning is working for their family. 74% of high school parents said remote learning is manageable for their child, although only 52% said they were extremely comfortable finding zoom classes. Thanks to the work of district employees, 99% of students in the West network have internet access in their homes, and only 3% do not have a device at home. Parents were asked if they felt the length of zoom classes were reasonable and 40% strongly agreed, whilst 8% strongly disagreed. However students don’t seem to share that view: after a day of zoom class sophomore Chantal Irungaray said she was “exhausted”, and senior Ethan Wall claimed to feel “empty.”

What may explain the discrepancy between high attendance and only 52% being extremely comfortable finding zoom classes, is the fact that only 37% of parents strongly agreed that their children could easily navigate Canvas. Remote learning has been a strange and foreign experience for most of us, with a rather tumultuous learning curve. The district plans to get us back to in-person learning as soon as it is safe.

Roughly two-thirds of parents say they would be comfortable with students returning to school in small, socially distanced groups. The district’s priority for sending students back is as follows: PreK, K, first, and second grade; refugee students with interrupted schooling; students acquiring English; students with IEPs (Individualized Education Program); students performing below grade level; and seniors in danger of not graduating.

It is unclear when it will be safe for students to return to West High, but it likely won’t be soon. People ages 10-19 make up 17% of the cases in Salt Lake City (Salt Lake County Health Department September 22 to October 5, 2020). If you want to return to school soon, be sure to follow CDC guidelines: wear a mask when in public, social distance, wash your hands, stay home if you or someone in your family is sick, and minimize trips. Most importantly, stay safe!